Elite, NW3, EST L1E, L1V Trials
March 17, 18, 19, 2023
Camp Keystone and Conference Center
6581 SE 9th Ave
Starke, FL 32091
It is not appropriate to contact or visit the trial location prior to the trial date, nor should training take place on trial grounds once an event is approved/announced. Our locations are real life search environments where people work, go to school, etc. Pre-trial contact or visits risk the host losing the opportunity to use the location again in the future.
River Poodles Training, LLC
Elite Friday, March 17, 2023
NW3 Saturday, March 18, 2023
EST L1E a.m. Sunday, March 19, 2023
EST L1V p.m. Sunday, March 19, 2023
Marnie White & Lloyd O'Quinn
Elite $175 per dog and handler team
NW3 $165 per dog and handler team
Level 1 EST’s $75 per dog and handler team
Number of Entries
Elite: 30 entries
NW3 38 Entries
EST Level 1: 38 Entries
One dog per handler per level/element.
Event attendees are required to adhere to the NACSW COVID-19 Event Guidelines and Rules. In addition to those guidelines the following changes and guidelines are in effect for this trial due to COVID-19. If there are any significant changes or updates after the draw period, entrants will be notified via email. Competitors are responsible for staying up to date on any jurisdictional requirements for their home location as well as the trial location including any travel guidance.
TRIAL ENTRY INFORMATION
Trial Entry Open and Closing
● The draw period for the trial will open on Tuesday, January 31,, 2023 at 12 p.m. EST. Entries will be awarded by random draw of all entries received between Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 12 p.m. EST and 12 p.m. Thursday, February 2, 2023.
● Trial entry will close at the end of the draw if the trial and wait list are deemed full. If the trial and wait list are not full, the trial will remain open for entries until they are deemed full or the day of the trial.
● We will not be taking payment until you are given a space in the trial. If you are given a space in the trial, you will receive information on how to submit payment. You will then have 48 hours to complete your payment to confirm your space in the trial.
All entries will be on-line via the link provided to the NACSW trial entry form. Paper and phone entries will not be accepted. Completing the form is not a guarantee of entry. You will receive a confirmation from firstname.lastname@example.org to let you know if your entry has been given a space in the trial.
Entry Requirements & Selection
A Qualified Entry is one that meets all the following criteria:
1. Complete the on-line trial entry during the draw period listed above.
2. The Handler is a NACSW member for the 2022-2023 membership year (8/1/22 - 7/31/23).
3. The Dog is registered with the NACSW.
4. Dogs participating in a trial must be at least one year of age.
5. The Dog has achieved the ORT title (passed all 3 odors) and prior title level at least 14 days before the trial opens for entries. This applies to all levels effective April 1, 2021.
6. Qualified entry for Elite – Dog has earned a NW3 elite title and has not yet earned an ELT-CH title.
7. Qualified entry for NW3 – Dog has earned a NW2 title and has not yet earned an NW3 Elite title.
8. Qualified entry for Level 1 – Dog has not earned the Level 1 title for Exteriors or Vehicles.
Trial spaces will be determined in the following manner:
● Spaces will be awarded by a random draw of all Qualified Entries received during the draw period listed above.
● In the event that you are having technical difficulties with the entry system, please email email@example.com prior to the end of the draw period.
● No dog will be given a space in more than one trial of the same level at a single event.
● You may enter multiple dogs for entry in the draw. However, only one dog/handler per title level will be accepted into the trial. Entry will go to the dog selected in the draw – you may not swap to an alternate dog. If multiple dogs are selected in the draw, you may select which dog you wish to enter. Once a dog has been entered as a second dog/handler entry, you may not swap handlers after the draw to change the entry to a first dog/handler unless the trial is not full.
● If a trial level is not full after the draw of Qualified Entries, then there will be a Secondary Draw of any entries received that did not meet the ORT title or title requirements. These entries will be accepted pending completion of the requirements. Note: dogs must earn their ORT title and prior title level at least 3 days prior to the trial date to be eligible to compete. If the required title or ORT title is earned less than 14 days prior to the event, it is the competitor’s responsibility to notify the host that the requirement has been completed.
● If the trial level and wait list are not full after all entries received during the draw period have been processed, entries will continue to be accepted in the order they are received until the trial and wait list are deemed full.
For Exhibit Only Dogs (FEO): Dogs running FEO are not eligible to receive titles or earn placement ribbons. FEO results will not be included in the posted trial results. If space remains after all qualified entries are accommodated on February 8, 2023 then we will offer spaces for those who wish to run a dog For Exhibition Only (FEO). Second dog/handler FEO entries on the same day will be offered spaces after February 8, 2023.
● The trial host of an event has the right to refuse entry of any competitor or dog for just cause as approved by the National Trial Committee. Just cause includes lack of adherence to NACSW rules and guidelines and the policies outlined in each event entry premium.
● Some trial entries may be given priority entry based on contributions to the organization and the trial process.
You will be notified via e-mail of the results of the random draw by 5 p.m. EST on Monday, February 6, 2023.
If you have a spam blocker on your email account, please configure it to allow email from firstname.lastname@example.org in order to ensure delivery of confirmation and information about this trial.
You will then have 48 hours to complete your payment to confirm your space in the trial. Trial payments are payable via PayPal and credit card are paid through the PayPal site - no PayPal account required.
A waiting list for alternates will be started as soon as entries fill.
Alternates will be contacted when a space opens.
Depending on last minute trial logistics, we may opt to not fill all canceled spaces.
NACSW reserves the right to cancel a trial if minimum entry numbers are not met.
Be sure you read and understand the guidelines for this trial before entering. By submitting a registration for this NACSW Trial, you acknowledge that you have read, understand, and accept the policies and liability information of NACSW.
The following cancellation policy applies:
● For cancellation of entries on or before 12 p.m. EST March 2, 2023 – Full refund minus $25 processing fee.
● For cancellation of entries between 12 p.m. EST March 2, 2023, and before 12 p.m. March 13, 2023 – Full refund minus Processing fee $25 processing fee if the host fills your space. No refund will be issued if the host doesn’t fill your space. If the space is filled with a discounted or free entry, you will receive a refund dependent on the income from the replacement entry.
● For cancellation of entries after 12 p.m. March 13, 2023 – 50% of the trial entry fee will be refunded if the host fills your space. No refund will be issued if the host doesn’t fill your space. If the space is filled with a discounted or free entry, you will receive a refund dependent on the income from the replacement entry.
If you earn the title that makes you no longer eligible for the level you are entered, then you must contact the trial host at email@example.com to cancel your entry and will be subject to the published cancellation policy. You may opt to change your entry to an FEO entry in this case and will be placed on the FEO waitlist and only receive a space in the trial if the host is accepting FEO entries.
All cancellations must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
For cancellations that meet the above guidelines, refunds will be issued within 30 days of the request and no later than 14 days after the trial date.
Entry fees shall not be refunded if a dog or handler is absent, disqualified, or excused by the NACSW official or judge.
This cancellation and refund policy applies to competitors that must withdraw for any reason including but not limited to injury, illness, emergency, and personal or work-related reasons.
If the trial cannot take place or be completed by reason of fire, civil disturbances, an Act of God, public emergency, or any other cause beyond the control of the trial organizers, then the trial host will make their best effort to provide partial refunds after recouping their expenses.
Modeled after real-life detection work, NACSW trials are held in many different locations, with a variety of terrain, under varying weather conditions. Dogs and handlers need to be able to safely negotiate a variety of surfaces, including, but not limited to, tile, linoleum, carpeting, gravel, asphalt, uneven surfaces, and slippery footing. Handlers should be prepared to deal with a variety of weather conditions, including heat, cold, rain and snow. Trials frequently require covering extensive distances to get to and from the parking area to each of the search areas and generally require that this be done across natural, uneven surfaces. Handlers should be prepared for the physical demands and must be able to navigate the terrain with their dog accordingly. Participants should expect to spend most of the day outside or in their vehicles as there are rarely indoor crating options at trials. Please be prepared for you and your canine partner to deal with all of these varying environmental challenges. Handlers should familiarize themselves with potential regional risks and health concerns that may affect themselves or their dogs. Handlers agree that they are entering this trial at their own risk.
ADA Site Specific Conditions
This trial location is at the Salvation Army Keystone Camp and Conference Center in Starke, FL. The competitor parking area will be gravel or grass. The walk to search areas may involve moderate elevation changes and long walks. The walk to search areas will be on grass. The camp is a non-smoking camp and competitors are asked to please respect that requirement. Due to unforeseen conditions, such as weather or change in availability of areas at the location, the expected search areas, parking, and pathways to the search areas may be modified at the last minute.
The parking lot will be sand and some shade. Competitors should be prepared to have shade cloths and necessary vehicle covering to protect their dogs from the sun as well as water. Due to unforeseen conditions, such as weather or change in availability of areas at the location, this policy may be modified at the last minute.
Reactive Dog Parking
There will not be reactive dog parking at this trial. Due to unforeseen conditions, such as weather or change in availability of areas at the location, this policy may be modified at the last minute.
Unentered dogs must remain in the competitor’s vehicle during the trial day. There will be ample potty areas, but unentered dogs should not be allowed to “play”, exercise, or train on the trial grounds.
There is limited space for small RVs to park in the competitor parking area during the trial day. To reserve a space, you will need to contact the host after you receive a confirmation that you have received a space in the trial.
Email email@example.com to reserve RV space. No overnight RV parking is available. Due to unforeseen conditions, such as weather or change in availability of areas at the location, this policy may be modified at the last minute.
Running Vehicles or Generators in the parking lot
The parking lot is tight at this location and running your vehicles or generators in the parking lot is not allowed at this trial. Due to unforeseen conditions, such as weather or change in availability of areas at the location, this policy may be modified at the last minute.
Example: Smoking is not allowed on this trial site, including the use of e-cigarettes
Hotels for trials near Starke, FL
Best Western Starke, 1290 N Temple Ave, Starke, FL 32091 (904) 964-6744
Americas Best Value Inn Starke, 880 N Temple Ave, Starke, FL 32091 (904) 964-7357
Best Western Waldo Inn & Suites, 17230 NE US Hwy 301, Waldo, FL 32694 (352) 468-2500
Motel 6 - Starke, Fl, 1101 N Temple Ave, Starke, FL 32091 (904) 964-7600
La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Lake City, 165 NW Cali Dr, Lake City, FL 32055 (800) 753-3757
Home2 Suites by Hilton Lake City, 414 SW Florida Gateway Dr, Lake City, FL 32024 (386) 487-9890
NOTE: There are plenty of hotels in Gainesville and Jacksonville that you can investigate. Please make sure you check with the hotel for pet polices and charges.
● All dogs must be on a 6’ leash at all times when not being tested. NO flexi-leashes while not participating in a competition search.
● Dogs that need space from dogs may wear a red bandana, provided by the dog’s handler, to help signal others that the dog needs extra space from dogs.
● Dogs will be toileted in designated areas and handlers must pick-up and dispose of waste.
● Dogs and handlers must stay in designated areas to avoid contaminating testing space, interrupting a test, or from viewing any part of the testing.
● Competitors should expect to keep their dogs confined in a crate or vehicle when not competing. The logistics of a trial typically do not allow for dogs to hang out on leash in between searches. Competitors should plan to provide their own shade using canopies or shade cloths.
● Refer to Location Details (above) for information on unentered dogs.
Females in Season
Will be allowed to run wearing “pants” at the very end of the running orders after all other dogs have been judged. Females in season will be parked and pottied in areas separate from the other dogs while at the trial if the location logistics permit. Handlers must contact firstname.lastname@example.org so plans can be made for the dog.
Complete rules are available at www.NACSW.net. It is the responsibility of each competitor to read and understand the current NACSW Rule book prior to participating in a NACSW event.
By registering for the trial, the competitor hereby assumes all risks of, and responsibility for, accidents and/or damage to her/himself or to her/his property or to others, resulting from the actions of her/his dog. The competitor expressly agree that the NACSW, River Poodles Training, LLC and its assignees or any other person, or persons, of said groups, shall not be held liable personally, or collectively, under any circumstances, for injury, and/or damage to her/himself, for loss or injury to property, whether due to uncontrolled dogs or negligence of any member of said groups, or any other cause, or causes. The competitor also agrees to assume all financial liability that may be incurred by the NACSW due to the actions of themselves or their dogs regardless of the cause.
All competitors/handlers and spectators are expected to follow the rules of the NACSW and demonstrate good sportsmanship. This includes making sure the hide placements are unknown to the handler prior to testing and kept secret from other competitors. Please do not discuss hide placement or any details of a dog's performance that may provide information or clues to other handlers or may be overheard.
Results for each search and overall will be posted after all searches are completed and scores are verified for you to record your results for your own records. It is your responsibility to ensure your scores are accurate prior to leaving trial grounds. If a discrepancy cannot be verified at the trial, you may be instructed to submit a score card review request. It is not the responsibility of the host or NACSW to return score sheets that are left behind or to mail ribbons that are not picked up.
Additional guests are welcome, however spectating opportunities may be limited. Please verify attendance policies with the host before bringing or inviting anyone not volunteering, competing, or officiating.
An adult accompanying a minor must be present during the searches.
Everyone at the trial site must sign the waiver provided by the host and comply with all event requirements.
Competitors are not allowed to watch the trial at any time.
Videotaping and Photography
At the host's discretion, a photographer and/or video service may be present during the trial to offer photos and/or videos for sale to the competitors. If the site allows public video to be taken, handlers may wear visible head or chest cameras to record their searches. You will not be allowed extra time at the start line to get your camera functioning. Please be sure it is ready to go prior to arriving at the search area. Videos may not be made public until completion of the trial day. There is no photography or video allowed by spectators or volunteers.
As a condition of your entry, you agree to allow NACSW, or their agents, to video you and your dog during the entirety of the NACSW event. These videos are the property of NACSW. All competitors, through entry at any NACSW event, waive any and all rights relative to video broadcast or photography of such event.
All trial related questions, contact email@example.com